Re: [css3-text] Splitting CSS Text into Level 3 and Level 4

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 10:15:49 +0100, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
wrote:

> Again, I agree on this general idea, but we think differently how to do
> it. By defining "a very simple version" at this point, I think we take a
> risk to define too much to support "full-size-kana".
>
> "full-size-kana" only requires one-to-one code point transformation. But

> Florian's Wiki[1] and ideas at ML require a lot more. Most of them
> require inheritance, grapheme clusters, word boundaries, and Unicode
> normalizations. How much of them do you intend to put in Level 3?

It has been suggested that grapheme clusters are the right way to go, but
most examples posted so far don't need them to work.

Same with word boundaries.

Unicode normalization may be interesting, but it hasn't been proposed yet.

So I don't think this is as bad as you make it out to be.

At the same time, I am currently not really proposing any specific part of
it
for level 3. In my mind, the fact that this looks doable, and seems to be
something people want means we should probably pick this approach rather
than defining individual values like full-size-kana for i18n.

Listing up individual uses cases, and measuring the generic mechanism
against
them is good. But I'd rather not define individual values for them while
we are simultaneously working on more replacement solution.

As for which level @text-transform should end up in, I'd say level 3 if it
can
get ready fast enough to not (significantly) impact the progression of the
spec,
and 4 otherwise.

  - Florian