Re: [css3-multicol] Clarification on column-fill

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

>   > I think it would be simpler to remove that paragraph and just make the
>  > property always apply. This means when the element's height is auto and
>  > max-height is none, and there's no pagination or region stuff happening,
>  > column-fill:auto will put all the content in the first column, but
> that's
>  > OK IMHO; 'auto' is not the default value, and authors should only use it
>  > where it makes sense.
>
> Which makes sense. I'd hate to drag the spec through LC again, though.
> Removing the paragraph means a change in behavior, but not a change in
> syntax. I'll schedule it to be discussed in the WG.

Please discuss it soon since it's important for browsers to converge on a
common behavior here.

The CR also says:

>  In paged media, this property will only have effect on the last page
>  the multicol element appears on.
>
> Would you like to remove this as well?

Not completely. This really needs to be replaced with a description of how
columns work with vertical breaking. We need to say that the UA should put
as much content from the columns element as it can before a vertical break,
using as many columns as fit in the available width. When all the content
fits before the break, then column-fill is consulted to determine whether
to balance or not, but when not all the content fits before the break
column-fill is irrelevant.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us