Re: [css3-flexbox] alignment test

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Can I break this question in two:
>
> 1) As far as what 2009 spec actually says, is my test and expected behavior correct? Such as do margin work the same way in horizontal and vertical box, is "center" a "true center" etc.? Regardless of what we want to do, I want to be sure I am reading that correctly

I'm not sure if it's accurate wrt the actual 2009 spec text; I haven't
deeply internalized the relevant details.  That's irrelevant, though,
because the two existing *implementations* of said spec do not match
your testcases.  Thus, there's no need, even theoretically, to match
whatever behavior the spec might be interpreted to mandate.

As I noted, Firefox always resolves auto margins to 0, while WebKit
always resolves vertical auto margins to 0, and horizontal auto
margins to take up (width of flexbox - width of item), which is
*really broken* when you have a horizontal flexbox.

> 2) For potential changes to the new spec, I'll open an issue on wiki and send out a proposal. I can live with any of the options you've listed but I want to get a group resolution and specific text in the spec *soon* -- this is an important part of the spec and getting it solid would be really good for getting interoperable implementations.

I agree.  I'd like to have already stopped making changes to the
Flexbox syntax; anything that we want to change should happen ASAP so
we can finish out the spec quickly.