Re: [css3-fonts] what is the right font "family-name"?

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:29:48 -0800
CC: www-style@w3.org
> I have a question for “font-family” property.  For some fonts, I don’t
> know what  the right “family-name” should be used in CSS.  For example,
> font “Arial Bold”.  On Win7, it has font name “Arial Fett” (“Fett” is a
> German word).  If I use “Arial Fett” in the CSS file like (font-family:
> "Arial Fett";),  it does not work.  But if I use “Arial Bold”
> (font-family: "Arial Bold";), then it works ok.  So my question are: 1)
> which “family-name” should be used?  2) how do I find out the right
> “family-name” for a standard .ttf  font (example, timesbd.ttf)?

I believe the "family-name" would be

	Arial

The individual font name would be

	Arial Bold

With regard to 'Arial Fett', here we run into the issue that font names
can be localised, so a single font may contain multiple strings in
various languages for individual style names. Most font vendors don't
bother localising names, but Microsoft do for their core fonts.

Jonathan Kew's comment suggests that user agents should be able to match
a localised name based on platform or document language settings. I can
imagine all sorts of ways in which that could go wrong or produce
inconsistent results in different browsers.

JH