Re: [css3-text] Splitting CSS Text into Level 3 and Level 4

Koji Ishii wrote:

> I agree with fantasai. Floarian's proposal and following discussions
> look great, but it also feels me that this is a complicated feature to
> define. I don't see us finding a good answer to simple questions in a
> reasonable time frame, such as whether it should be based on code
> point, legacy grapheme cluster, or extended.

For this level, we can define @text-transform in a simple way and
satisfy the simple use cases, such as the transform from small kana to
normal kana. It does not need to be so complicated that it's hard to
define.

> I agree with John's general principle too. I see defining some i18n
> values first and then try to look for general @rule in future is a
> good incremental approach.

This is the exact *opposite* of what I was proposing as a general
principle.  Rather than adding what you describe as "i18n values", we
should try to generalize features where possible, so that authors can
effectively define their own values.  The @text-transform rule is just
one example of this and Florian lists many small-use-case examples in
his proposal.

It's very hard for the WG to assess whether proposed
solutions to internationalization problems are correct, complete or
really necessary (e.g. discussions of Armenian numbering schemes on
www-style in Feb. 2009).  Basing solutions on actual usage allows us to
avoid defining features that are never widely used in practice but
widely implemented simply to satisfy the requirements of a given spec.

Regards,

John Daggett