RE: [css3-regions][css3-exclusions][css3-gcpm][css3-positioning] RE: Examples of exclusions

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 01:17:04 +0100
To: Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>
Cc: Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>, "arronei@microsoft.com" <arronei@microsoft.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Also sprach Stephen Zilles:

 >  I do not believe that Vincent concluded that exclusions between
 >  columns is not in scope. What is not in scope is positioning
 >  because that is the topic of other specifications.

I think it makes sense to discuss positioning along with regions and
exclusions. The use cases for CSS Regions (and exclusions) all use
positioning, I believe:

  http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css3-regions/regions-use-cases

Can you think of a use case for regions/exclusions that does not use
some form of positioning?

Therefore, I don't understand why the "not in scope" arguement is used
when I suggest that the use cases you posted:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2011Oct/0033.html

should be added. Your list is just as much in scope as dropcap
exclusion or magazine layout, no?

-h&kon