Re: [css3-layout] Drop it?

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Jon Rimmer <jon.rimmer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed on the WG blog that a new working draft of the Template
> Layout Module has been published. This lead me to wonder exactly what
> is going on with this spec in relation to the other layout proposals
> and what web browsers are actually intending to implement.
>
> My understanding, probably incomplete, is that Template Layout covers
> similar ground to Grid Layout and Regions but that, despite predating
> those specs by several years, it has not been implemented in a browser
> and there is little prospect of that changing soon. Meanwhile,
> experimental implementations of Grid Layout and Regions are
> available/in-progress for IE and Webkit.
>
> I can understand that if people have invested effort into this module
> they would not wish to see it die, but if it is not going to be
> implemented, and has been supplanted by specs that are, then I would
> question the value of the W3C continuing to invest editor resources
> updating and publishing it. Would it not be better to retire it and
> concentrate efforts on those other specs? It just seems a little
> strange, and potentially misleading from an outside perspective, for
> the WG to have a layout module that is competing at least partially
> with other proposals, and which appears to have lingered for years in
> draft status without any progress towards even an experimental
> implementation.

I agree; I highly doubt that Template Layout will receive any
implementation, since Grid is more-or-less identical to it in
functionality and is receiving a second experimental implementation.
It's somewhat useful as a source of additional ideas, as it has
several pieces of additional functionality not present in Grid, but
this purpose would be equally served by a wiki page, with less chance
of sending a confusing message to the community.