Re: Proposal: Form factor media queries

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 13:36:53 +0100
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Brian:

> Smartphones will likely have resolutions that will either rival or
> supersede present-day laptop resolutions, so our approach of detecting
> screen resolution and/or pixel density will be useless as a means to detect
> form factor.

Um, if I’m not mistaken, the device and display width and height queries would work just fine with physical units (‘mm’, ‘cm’, even ‘in’, ‘pt’, ‘pc’) if they’re not affected by the fixed 96px = 72pt (= 1in = 25.4mm) ratio required elsewhere (font size etc.).

That said, it makes a difference whether the scren is only an utput device or also an input device (“touchscreen”). Also, I’m all in favor of sanitizing media types, since they’re non-exclusive, but are treated as such.