Proposal: Form factor media queries

From: Brian <irishb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 15:56:42 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
With all of the attention being given to responsive design approaches, I
could not help but wonder what will happen in as little as a few years.
Smartphones will likely have resolutions that will either rival or
supersede present-day laptop resolutions, so our approach of detecting
screen resolution and/or pixel density will be useless as a means to detect
form factor. What we need in a media query is the ability to detect a true
form factor, a "device-type" if you will, something along the lines of the
"handheld" query of HTML4 lore that was abandoned after the iPhone was
released and refused to implement it, to prevent a bad user experience.

I imagine something akin to: <link rel="stylesheet" media="handheld,
tablet" src="style-handheld-tablet.css">

Thanks,
--
Brian Irish