Re: [css3-regions][css3-exclusions][css3-gcpm][css3-positioning] RE: Examples of exclusions

Vincent Hardy wrote:

 > > Stephen Zilles wrote:
 > >
 > > > Point taken. I have reposted the examples to www-archive.
 > > >   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2011Oct/0033.html
 > >
 > >   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2011Oct/0033.html
 > >
 > > Thanks for posting, very useful. The first example is also commonly
 > > used in Western media: the pull quote (or whatever) is placed between
 > > column 1 and column 2, intruding both.
 > >
 > > It seems that, currently, css3-regions [1] and css3-exclusions [2]
 > > cannot encode this example.
 >
 > As we discussed in the other thread, the issue of positioning
 > regions (and we can add exclusions for this particular discussion)
 > is not in the scope of these specifications.

When I go to the list of use cases for Regions and Exclusions, which
are linked from the Regions WD:

  http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css3-regions/regions-use-cases

I see many fancy examples, which presumably are in scope?

For example, you write:

  The following image illustrates the need to be able to flow content
  around an arbitrarily shaped area.

Shouldn't you also have an example, with Steve's pull-quote image,
where you say:

  The following image illustrates the need to be able to insert an
  element between two columns.

 > This type of positioning should be covered by the CSS positioning draft:
 >
 > http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-positioning/

Arron, are you planning to add column-based positioning there?

Again, there is a proposed solution in GCPM:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm/#the-float-offset-property

-h&kon