[css3-regions][css3-exclusions][css3-gcpm] RE: Examples of exclusions with content placed within them in an assortment of Korean newspapers

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 01:04:51 +0100
To: Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Stephen Zilles wrote:

 > Point taken. I have reposted the examples to www-archive.
 >   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2011Oct/0033.html

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2011Oct/0033.html

Thanks for posting, very useful. The first example is also commonly
used in Western media: the pull quote (or whatever) is placed between
column 1 and column 2, intruding both.

It seems that, currently, css3-regions [1] and css3-exclusions [2]
cannot encode this example. That is, there is no way to specify that
the pull quote should appear between column 1 and column 2. It can be
specified when column widths are hard-coded (by setting the width of
the multicol element) or the number of columns is fixed (by simulating
multicol layouts in regions), but not for the general case where the
number and width of columns change to fill all available space. Is
this correct? If so, I'd like for it to be added as an issue in the
drafts.

FWIW, GCPM proposes a solution to this [3].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-regions/
[2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-exclusions/
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm/#the-float-offset-property

-h&kon