Re: [css-tv] CSS TV profile Obsolete?

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 15:52:03 +0100, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure that declaring it obsolete is the correct path. In order to
> declare something obsolete, it is necessary to define what replaces it.
> None of the current CSS specs replace it (as a profile). It would be more
> accurate to describe it as "no longer being developed for the purpose of
> transition to REC".

I meant an obsoletion notice like the one attached to this document:

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-content/

We've done this recently to a bunch of unfinished specs that had been
inactive
for too long.

The only thing it says is that we are not actively working on this, and
haven't
been working on it for so long that we don't want to promise anything about
the relevance or correctness of this content.

> I know of a number of external specifications in the TV space that
> normatively refer to this CR, so their doing so should not be disturbed.

Well, normatively referring to something that isn't REC is usually not a
good
idea, but of course, there isn't always an alternative, so I don't blame
however
did that.

At the same time, since they are already out of the W3C way of doing
things, as
long as we don't take it off-line, or turn it on its head to mean
different things,
I am not sure why they would care that in what way the CSS WG flags its
documents.

What I am primarily interested is informing people who discover this
document for
the first time that reading it, basing new specs on it, or using it as a
guide for
implementation is probably not a very good use of their time.

  - Florian