Re: [CSS21] Empty line boxes should be mentioned in 10.8

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 18:46:15 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
On 30/11/2011 11:36, Simon Sapin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Section 10.8 of CSS 2.1 states that the line-height property defines the
> minimal height for every line box. However, the ninth paragraph of
> section 9.4.2 states that empty line boxes are to be treated as
> zero-height or non existent.
>
> Both statements seem to be contradictory.

If the line box is non-existent then I would argue that the sentence in
10.8 doesn't apply.  The intention is that 9.4.2 overrides 10.8,
although I agree that this isn't actually stated anywhere.

> I think that the exception of
> empty line boxes (with "empty" as defined in 9.4.2) should be mentioned
> in 10.8.

Noted.  However, unfortunately CSS21 is full of such fluffiness and it's
unlikely that the errata is going to involve a great deal of extensive
editorial rewrites.  The plan is that the CSS3 modules be rather more
formally written so that they can be more accurate replacements for CSS21.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net