Re: [css3-text] Splitting CSS Text into Level 3 and Level 4

fantasai wrote:

> In the interests of getting some of the more stable features to CR, I'm suggesting
> that we split CSS3 Text into two levels along the lines outlined below. I've
> annotated the items on the list with their implementation status and EPUB inclusion,
> as requested. The spec probably needs at least one or two more WDs before LC, but
> making this split means LC is within sight. We'll maintain a Level 4 draft with
> the features that are cut so that we can continue working on them.
>
> === Keep in Level 3 ===
>
> These features are both already-implemented and required for EPUB:
>
>    * text-transform
>
> === Defer to next level ===
>
>    * text-replace / @text-transform

There's an issue that's been brought up a couple times, most recently
at the TPAC F2F, about whether the right approach for transforms like
'full-size-kana' is to add a new value, given that the use case is
fairly small.  Rather than adding more values for uncommon use cases
like 'full-size-kana', I think we should instead support a simple
mechanism like @text-transform that allows authors to specify
arbitrary transforms for use cases like this.  This allows authors to
define a transform that fits their needs without the need for the CSS
WG to define new values for small use case situations.

If we can't resolve this before the next WD of CSS3 Text, I'd at least
like the issue marked in the spec, wherever 'full-size-kana' is defined.

Regards,

John Daggett