Re: [css3-selectors] [css4-selectors] [CSS21] pseudo grammar conflicts with BCP 47 (RFC4647) for :lang()

From: Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 08:12:58 +0800
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
CC: Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>, WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>, John Hax <johnhax@gmail.com>
(11/08/27 8:00), Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Arron Eicholz wrote:
>> Actually I just want us to properly match what the RFC4647 says is valid
>> for matching language identifiers. This would mean that :lang(*) would
>> be valid but also :lang(en-*) or :lang(*-Latn) or even :lang(en-Latn-*)
>> and other variants that possibly include a *.
> Well, RFC 4647 defines `language-range` and `extended-language-range`
> and subtag wildcards are only possible with the latter. I am not sure
> whether you think subtag wildcards is an important feature needed by
> CSS authors; if it is not, then :lang() should not be changed at all.

The HTML5 Chinese IG is actually writing a wiki page to collect use
cases of such and hopefully we'll have a fair assessment of how much
this is needed. This is especially useful for us because we are in a
messy situation where all the below are possible values for a Chinese page:

zh
zh-hant
zh-tw
zh-hant-tw