RE: Splitting background-position in two different attributes

[Anne van Kesteren:]

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 18:53:32 +0200, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > Yes, IE9's implementation is aligned somewhat with CSSOM but I've been
> > told on multiple occasions not to use that document as an official
> > reference for anything.
>
> Given that we have nothing else, that person is wrong imo. Please use it
> and give feedback.

I don't think the officialness or lack thereof matters that much in this instance.

The fact that there is nothing else does not mean something is ready to be
implemented. Especially when the 'nothing else' is stuck in ED as CSSOM was
for quite some time and defines behavior like serialization that a) can't be
prefixed b) can break backward compatibility c) has generated little or no
feedback d) has not been reviewed by the group (the Seattle f2f was the first
time the group had a substantial discussion about some of the serialization
rules you wrote some time ago afaik).

I'm more interested in seeing concrete traction i.e. several implementors showing
active interest in converging on an interoperable behavior. When that happens and
is backed up with code then I do care about making things 'official' i.e. stable.