[css3-multicol] spanning elements & margin collape

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 00:27:08 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
The multicol spec

  http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/

is silent on how/whether spanning elements collapse. I meant to
address this issue before going to CR -- here's the start of the
thread:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Oct/0642.html

I propose to add this text to the CR:

  A spanning element behaves as a block element wrt. collapsing.
  However, margins on a spanning element do not collapse with margins
  of a non-spanning sibling element.

  Example A:

    The bottom margin of a spanning element does not collapse with the
    top margin of a subsequent sibling.

  Example B:

    Margins between two adjacent spanning elements collapse.

There is no disagreement about example A, I believe.

For B, it seems that Opera and IE do things differently: Opera
collapses, IE does not.

-h&kon