RE: [css3-images] gradients keywords and logical (Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions Telecon 2011-08-10)

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 01:51:28 +0000
To: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Alan Gresley:
> The code simulates the newer "magic corners" gradient.
>
> The issue I have is when these are transitioned or animated. If the
> transitioned is from 'to bottom right' (as in the code) to 'to bottom',
> the length between the endpoints (red and blue) go from roughly 200px to
> 400px. Also instead of the rectangle being circumscribed by the gradient
> path (or direction) it is inscribed by the gradient path. I would like
> the ability to control if a gradient path is circumscribing or
> inscribing a box in a transition or animation.

An example (maybe just a revisit of a previous one) would help me (and maybe others) understand the use case.

The example I have in mind is something where you show 2 rows of 5 boxes.  The first row contains the transition you expect with current spec.  The second row contains the transition you would like.  The 1st - 5th columns are { start, 25%, 50%, 75%, end }.  Maybe fill the boxes using SVG background-image?