[css3-flexbox] flex() function

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:18:35 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
   # If the first two values are non-negative numbers and the third value is 0,
   # the positive flexibility is set to the first value, the negative flexibility
   # is set to the second value, and the preferred size is set to 0px.
   # Otherwise, If two of the values are non-negative numbers, and the other is a
   # <length> (with a unit suffix), a <percentage>, or a valid keyword, the positive
   # flexibility is set to the first number, the negative flexibility is set to the
   # second number, and the preferred size is set to the other value.

It seems a bit confusing to me to keep track of the positive and negative flex
values and how the syntax works. Have you considered denoting negative flex
values with a negative number? That way it's obvious which value indicates which
type of flex.

   # User agents that allow non-zero length values without unit suffix in "quirks mode"
   # may also accept a non-zero positive number as the preferred size in pixels when
   # in "quirks mode" and when it is the third value in flex() function with three
   # values.

This seems rather unnecessary. I can't imagine a backwards-compatibility issue
with people using unprefixed lengths in a flex() function.

~fantasai