Re: background-print

I've also had real world cases where I _needed_ the backgrounds to print because the page design relied on backgrounds to convey information and the page wasn't designed for print at all. I wound up wasting time, ink, and paper printing the page twice after digging through browser settings trying to find the control to turn the backgrounds back on… now, how many users are out there that don't even know there's a switch for that?

User choice is important, but only if the choice is actually presented to the user in a meaningful and relevant manner so that they can actually make an informed decision.

What I really want is a good print dialog, one that shows me all my choices (print stylesheet(s), screen stylesheet(s), alternate stylesheet(s), backgrounds on/off, color/monochrome, etc) with live previews and lets me pick which way to print the document… (and sure, if you want to add UI to suppress printing ads or select regions of the page to print I'm happy with that as well)

Peter