[css3-regions] content:flow-from() vs. flow-from

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:07:34 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
I would like to revisit the issue of named-flow property

	"content:flow-from(flowname)" vs. "flow-from:flowname"

We did have a WG resolution for 'content', but at the time of the discussion the difference appeared to be purely syntactical, however it isn't, as described here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Jul/0477.html

In short:

	* 'content' replaces natural content of the element, combining it with any ':before' and ':after', potentially with fallbacks, while
	* 'flow-from' takes over the whole box, giving it a different layout model (where ':before' and ':after' have no meaning)

It is possible to define how before/after blend with flow content in a subset of region use, but it is something that was never called for, yet it is complicated to define and implement.

More issues with 'content':
	* It seems backward that we are using a special value of 'content' property to change the nature of the container, and change how some selectors apply (:before/:after).
	*

What can we do here?

Option 1:
	1) "content:flow-from()" defines a region (no change)
	2) css3-content is updated to say that :before/:after have no effect on regions

Option 2:
	1) use "flow-from:flowname"
	2) define that generated content (':before', ':after', ':: 'content' don't apply to regions)

Option 3:
	1) Introduce "display-inside" property (defines layout behavior inside element: "display:inline-table" == "display:inline-block; display-inside:table").
	2) Element becomes a region when it has "display-inside:region"
	3) Generated content does not apply to regions
	4) Flow selection: 'flow-from' or 'content:flow-from()' - with this option either way works, these properties no longer define region, they are consumed by the region and it can set its own rules.

Proposal:
	I would like Option 3. If we are not willing to go that far, then Option 2.

Alex