Re: [css3-images] Resolving on gradient issues

On 10/08/2011 12:46 AM, Rafal Chlodnicki wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 07:25:23 +0200, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> I believe quite the opposite. The current repeating-radial-gradient
>>> provides capabilities that can't be simulated with background-repeat
>>> or any other properties without significant shenanigans.
>>
>> My point was that we already have a familiar way of repeating things
>> in backgrounds, and even with 'repeating-linear-gradient' available in
>> prefixed versions, authors seem to greatly prefer using
>> background-repeat and background-size instead, as I predicted. That is
>> my impression from looking at the code of many of the samples that Lea
>> Verou has showcased [1].
>>
>> You don't need shenanigans to get there. If we had 'background-rotate'
>> to rotate the background canvas, you would even need a magic 'auto'
>> value to deal with gradients. You could just set them to 'from bottom'
>> (or whatever that will be called), and then set 'background-rotate' to
>> some number of deg.
>
> How would you do such gradient without specifying all that repeating
> stops manually:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/repeating3.png
>
> ?

Brad is talking about repeating-linear-gradient and not
repeating-radial-gradient. He has a demo here.

http://bradclicks.com/cssplay/Gradient_Tiled_BG/index.html

This is not the below background tile moving either along the x or y axis,

|/ / / / /|   /|\
| / / / / |    |
|/ / / / /|    Y
| / / / / |    |
|/ / / / /|   \|/

<----X---->

but the below background tile moving on a rotated x or y axis.

        / -
       / / / -
      / / / / / -
         \|