Re: [css3-background] 'background-size: auto auto' and images with intrinsic size in one dimension

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 12:24:26 -0700
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "Boris Zbarsky (bzbarsky@MIT.EDU)" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I forgot to mention this linkage in the chain of evaluation ...
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/coords.html#IntrinsicSizing
>
> My recollection is that this explains how the percentages interact with the attachment location.
>
> My other recollection is that, although it's in SVG Tiny 1.2, it was the preferred model and that it was going to be moved or replicated somewhere else in spec land.
>

> Like I said, I'm fuzzy on this area but this combined with the other references led some of us (and definitely me) to the conclusion that we had no SVG-provided examples of the absence of intrinsic ratio during IE9 development.  And none of the new feature set of IE10 has shaken that understanding.

Read that section you linked again - it still agrees with what we've
said, and in fact does so in much clearer terms than SVG1.1 did.  In
particular, note this fragment: "Specifically, percentage values do
not provide an intrinsic width or height, and do not indicate a
percentage of the containing block. Rather, they indicate the portion
of the viewport that is actually covered by image data."

Thus, in the example I gave, there is no intrinsic height (as it took
the lacuna value of 100%), and there is no intrinsic aspect ratio (as
there was no viewBox, and one of the width/height values was a
percentage).  There is only an intrinsic width.