Re: [css3-regions] Comments on Editor's Draft

From: Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 16:00:35 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Hi Anton,

[...]

(Discussion about the anonymous block wrapper).

I'm still not sure that I understand the need for it though.

Here, the inline content flows into both regions, just as if the mark-up
had been:

The container forming the region already takes responsibility for
generating anonymous block boxes if necessary, since anything that can
be achieved using CSS Regions could also be achieved using different
mark-up (such as above) so any awkward case (eg loose inline content
sitting inside tables) should already have well-defined behaviour in CSS
(eg table fix-up algorithm).

I didn't understand your reference to margin and padding, but the issue
of margin collapsing is an interesting one.  Do we need regions to
necessarily establish a block formatting context?  I would suggest not,
and that margins coming from a named flow should potentially collapse
(under normal CSS21 rules) with the region's own margins (just as if the
contents of the flow were the actual contents of the region element).
Again, I don't see how the anonymous block helps here.

>> [VH] I need to scratch my head about this a little more.

Kind regards,
Vincent