RE: [css3-images] Resolving on gradient issues

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 18:41:47 +0000
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Fantasai:
> Use topward and bottomward. That way at least it'll make more sense for non-English speakers, who don't have to equate "up" with "top".

We're not talking about locations.  We're talking about directions.

Also, I've never heard "topward" or "bottomward" written or said in my lifetime until now.  Are they even words?

Oxford English Dictionary doesn't think they are:
http://www.oed.com/noresults?browseType=sortAlpha&noresults=true&page=1&pageSize=20&q=topward&scope=ENTRY&sort=entry&type=dictionarysearch

Making up words is more confusing rather than less.