Re: Splitting background-position in two different attributes

From: Jonathan Snook <jonathan@snook.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 13:24:41 -0400
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> As you indicated, this has been discussed before, and rejected.  I
> believe the reasoning for it being rejected is still valid.

I documented my issues with background-position-x/y here:
http://snook.ca/archives/html_and_css/background-position-x-y

I provided three specific use cases: animation, spriting, and internationalization. With the majority of browsers having an existing implementation, it seems like pure stubbornness not to include it at this point. Why not codify what most browsers are already doing? As great as Media Fragments and other specs are, implementations just aren't there.

I would feel that, as a general rule for CSS, any combined value (background-position, box-shadow, animation, etc) should be possibly decomposed to a single value.

Jonathan.