[CSS3 positioning] Feedback, comments on 25 July 2011 WD

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 01:02:28 -0700

1- 7. Positioning schemes

11. Relationships between 'display', 'position', and 'float'

I think it should be said clearly and explicitly that floats are laid out,
then taken out of the flow and positioned within content *_before_*
positioned elements are taken out of flow and positioned. I know that this
is not easy to establish and find out in CSS 2.1.

Section 11. may even suggest absolutely positioned boxes are positioned
before floated elements are positioned within content.

14.1.2 Painting order section states "5. All non-positioned floating
descendants, in tree order. (...) 8. All positioned descendants with
'z-index: auto' or 'z-index: 0', in tree order." ]

2- positioined is mispelled in

3- 7.4 Fixed positioning, Example V

Load this example into a browser and compare with the screenshot. I tried
this a few years ago and never came close to the screenshot. I may still
have somewhere the example on which I was working on.

Consider this as a suggestion: any/all examples given in CSS3 positioning
module should have correspondent links to real webpages where readers can
view examples for real.

4- 9. Box offsets: 'top', 'right', 'bottom', 'left'

"Computed value:   	for ‘position: relative’, see Relative Positioning."

Relative Positioning link (
) is unretrievable, password-protected.

5- 11. Relationships between 'display', 'position', and 'float' says

"Otherwise, if 'position' has the value 'absolute', 'page' or 'fixed', and
the value of 'float' is not 'none', the box is absolutely positioned and

In that sentence, I suggest to replace "is not 'none'" with "is

6- 13. Clipping

It should be "inset()" everywhere or "inset-rect()" everywhere. There is a
small error.

Suggestion: the Figure 1 diagram should identify top, right, bottom, left
related red arrows.

regards, Gérard Talbot
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite