Re: box-align

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <andrew.fedoniouk@live.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 00:03:11 -0700
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "Alex Mogilevsky" <alexmog@microsoft.com>, "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>

Exactly.

>Also, for the record, the box-align proposal we discussed a few
>years back was about horizontal alignment only.  The proposal in
>this thread seems substantially different, since it puts the
>alignment property on the parent instead of the children, and has
>alignment on both axes.  This adds the capability to align
>vertically, but removes the capability of aligning different child
>blocks differently, and perhaps confuses the model a good bit as
>well.

Not quite so.

Consider XUL's <vbox> alike layout.

vertical-align for it means the following:
Take free space left after all vertical flex computations
and if the space is greater than zero move *all* elements
vertically as a whole.

horizontal-align in it means the following:
For each element compute its horizontal dimensions/flexes and
if there is free space left move *this* element accordingly.

For <hbox> algorithm is the same (orthogonal symmetry).
horizontal-align applied to all elements as a whole.
vertical-align is applied individually.

But again all this happens *after* flex computations and
only if there is free space left in corresponding direction.
So flex values of margins/paddings/width/height on the element
may  override alignments set by the container.
So we can define individual alignment of elements.

Very flexible to be short.

Plus vertical/horizontal-align shall define alignment
in overflow:hidden containers.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk

http://terrainformatica.com