Re: feature queries

From: Rob Crowther <robertc@boogdesign.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 00:55:04 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
On 13/04/11 19:59, L. David Baron wrote:
> @supports ( display: flex ) {
> }

Could there be a shorthand syntax for vendor extensions, or would we end
up with a lot of constructs like this?

@supports ( display: flex ) or
           ( display: -moz-flex ) or
           ( display: -webkit-flex ) or
           ( display: -o-flex ) or
           ( display: -ms-flex ) {
}

Which will get even more fun if you want to check two or more properties
are supported (ignoring the particulars of the properties here):

@supports ( display: flex and column-count) or
           ( display: flex and -moz-column-count) or
           ( display: -moz-flex  and column-count) or
           ( display: -moz-flex  and -moz-column-count) or ...

And I've already lost the will to carry on.

At least if you could specify the general case and a few exceptions it
would be a lot more straightforward eg.:

@supports ( display: *-flex and *-column-count) and
           not ( -webkit-flex or -ms-column-count) {
}

Rob