Re #3: [css3-speech] Editorial Comments

From: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:23:43 +0100

On 28 Apr 2011, at 08:49, fantasai wrote:
> 9. voice-pitch-range
>
> # and typically has a value of 120Hz for a male voice and 210Hz for a
> # female voice
>
> This is already mentioned under voice-pitch, and really belongs there
> and not here, so I'd cut it out.

True.

> # one semitone is approximately 1.05946 (the actual arithmetics
> involved
> # are beyond the scope of this specification, please refer to existing
> # literature on that subject).
>
> Question from the minutes <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Feb/0029.html
> >:
>
> <dbaron> Is it possible to replace "(the actual arithmetics involved
> are
>         beyond the scope of this specification, please refer to
> existing
>         literature on that subject)" with "(the twelfth root of
> two)"? :-)

Oops, I forgot to edit this in !! Thank you for the heads-up (and
sorry).

> 9. voice-stress
>
> # For example, when the phrase "going to" is reduced it may be spoken
> # as "gonna".
>
> This example is probably better attached to the "Emphasis is indicated
> using a combination ... that varies from one language to the next."
> But I'm dubious about this example. An articulate person could de-
> stress
> "going to" without reducing it to "gonna", no? This seems more like a
> dialectical difference than a stress difference.

This prose is lifted straight from the SSML specification, but I must
admit, I feel the same about the relevance (and dare I say, the
validity) of this example in the context of emphasis/stress speech
characteristics. See:

http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis/#S3.2.2

Many thanks again Fantasai !!
Daniel