Re: box-align

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 08:39:25 -0700
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Thursday 2011-04-28 13:41 +0000, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
> Extending 'box-align' to cover the behavior of <center> tag is an
> interesting proposal. Currently <center> cannot be defined using
> CSS. Decisions that led to it were done before my time, but I am
> sure it is on purpose. Perhaps older CSSWG members could share why
> <center> is not possible in CSS, and if extending 'box-align' in
> that direction is a good idea?

We had a proposal for that written up a few years ago:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Nov/0071.html
such that <center> could be expressed as 'text-align: center;
alignment: center' (or whatever we called the new property).  I
think this would still be a good idea (though I'm not sure about the
name).

I'm not sure why auto margins were originally chosen over an
alignment property; that's well before I was involved in the group.

-David