Re: [css3-lists] [css3-speech] Interaction between list-style-type and speak properties

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed. Suppose HTML creates an inline element called MARKER containing regular text that must be part of the document. Could we then have a mechanism for turning that into a CSS marker for styling, and let it act like a full-fledged marker? Something like this:
>
> Li::marker { content: marker }
>
> Or without any new HTML element, then something like this:
>
> Li::marker { content: firstMatchingChild("span.markyMark"); }
>
> This would move the element into the marker position, to where it would only be selectable as a ::marker pseudo-element.

Yes.  I'm writing the spec text for this feature right now.  It should
work like:

<ol>
</ol>
.marker { display: marker; }
ol { list-style-type: inline; }

The 'inline' type specifies that the first display:marker child of the
list-item is used as the contents of the ::marker pseudo.  The
so-chosen display:marker child itself does not render.  Use of
display:marker in any other context is equivalent to display:inline.