Re: [css3-lists] [css3-speech] Interaction between list-style-type and speak properties

On Apr 27, 2011, at 2:06 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> In practice, people using HTML rely on HTML to
> create the list markers. The only common exception here is lawyers,
> who need ironclad interpretation of their documents, and will go
> through the trouble of putting their list bullets in the text itself.

And organizations that have documents that lawyers must review. That is, not just law firms, but also heavily regulated industries like banks and health care.

> As for HTML, it doesn't have a way of creating ordered bulletted
> lists or unordered lettered lists. Which is admittedly a problem for
> the HTMLWG to solve, but given that we are responsible for being able
> to render an appropriate representation of whatever they come up with,
> we're not off the hook here either.

Agreed. Suppose HTML creates an inline element called MARKER containing regular text that must be part of the document. Could we then have a mechanism for turning that into a CSS marker for styling, and let it act like a full-fledged marker? Something like this:

Li::marker { content: marker }

Or without any new HTML element, then something like this:

Li::marker { content: firstMatchingChild("span.markyMark"); }

This would move the element into the marker position, to where it would only be selectable as a ::marker pseudo-element.