Re: [css3-speech] 'speakability' property name

From: Andrew Thompson <lordpixel@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:21:41 -0400
To: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
You're correct, use of this invented  word is ugly.

This is tricky because in an ideal world I think speakability would in fact be speak (as in speak: none or speak: auto) and the existing speak property would work well if it were called pronunciation (pronunciation: normal, pronunciation: spell-out). Still no chance of that now.

'Speaking' doesn't work because it's the present participle of a verb (gerund) and you need a noun construct like speaking-style or an adjective for consistency.

Some alternatives
'speech'
'audibility'
'aural'