Re: [css3-lists] of lists and castles

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:40:12 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Also sprach Tab Atkins Jr.:

 > > > Okay, then.  I think the styles are valuable to support, given that
 > > > they are used in real life.  Should we perhaps just limit the styles
 > > > to the range 0-9999?
 > >
 > > If we, like John suggests, drop section 4.3, I don't think we need to
 > > limit the range, do we?
 >
 > I don't understand.  Are you being sarcastic?

No, I don't know what made you think so.

Section 4.3 currently defines ranges. For example, it says, e.g.:

  The Chinese and Japanese styles are defined for all numbers between ...

If we drop section 4.3, do we still need ranges -- as upper or lower
bounds for list style numbering?

There will, as the spec notes, limits in implementions:

  There's also an implicit range coming from implementation limits.

CSS 2.1. does not have ranges (though wrapping is not definde for
alphabetic values) and I don't see the need to -- say -- introduce
ranges for the 'decimal' type.

-h&kon