From: Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 10:28 PM
To: Alex Mogilevsky
Cc: www-style list
Subject: Re: [css3-flexbox] Best way to denote flexible lengths

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]

Sorry, I'm referring to something completely different.  A few years ago (I think in 2008), it was proposed that we have a 'box-align'
property that allows for centering behavior the same as what 'vertical-align' does for table cells - that is, it makes the element a BFC, and then aligns the contents of the box.  (Obviously, this only has an effect if the box has an explicit height greater than its
contents.)

Fantasai has suggested to me that we can utilize this to achieve the "stretched box, align the contents" use-case, which I'm currently solving with flexible padding.  It would also be usable outside of flexbox, in an obviously useful fashion.

If we adopted this, the only change would be that I'd drop the ability of padding to be flexible.  Width, height, and margins would still be flexible.  I'd then define the box-align value, which is usable everywhere.

>> > If flex() can take space separated flexibility and size, and
>> > flexibility
>> is one or two numbers, then the weird sequence is not allowed.
>>
>> Okay, I'll make the edit on Monday.
>
> This sounded good last Saturday, did you change your mind (in later mail)?

Yeah, it was easier to spec that the length was allowed to go between the two flexibility values.  Like I said, if you feel strongly that this shouldn't be allowed, I'm definitely willing to change the spec accordingly.