Re: [css3-selectors] Proposal for browser specific prefix

On Apr 22, 2011, at 12:43 , Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Alexander Shpack <shadowkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Then you probably don't want to be using prefixed things at all.
>>
>> I don't want to write 5 (five!) similar rules. :)
>
> Then both you and we have some options.
>
> You can just avoid that feature until it's stable enough for browsers
> to drop the prefix.

There is usually a significant period after the feature is stable but before the prefix-less option is defined or broadly implemented, isn't there?

> Alternately, you can just deal with the pain and
> write out your the properties multiple times.
>
> We can prioritize features that have acquired multiple prefixes, as
> they're clearly popular, and get them stable and unprefixed as fast as
> possible, even if the rest of the module they're in still needs to be
> prefixed.
>
> Both of these are good solutions.  Trying to pretend that browsers all
> implement experimental properties the same way is not.

Nobody is pretending that.  I think you might be reacting to a strawman "give up on prefixes and only have the option of saying 'I don't care if it's prefixed or not, give me the feature".  I think he's asking for that latter *as an additional option*, in the case where he's reasonably confident that anyone implementing the feature, prefixed or not, will give him what he wants.  For features with widely varying implementations, you wouldn't use this "any implementation is fine" syntax.

David Singer