Re: [css3-flexbox] Best way to denote flexible lengths

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 20:20:04 -0700
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I think the default for preferred value is "initial value" -- if it applies to padding it will be '0', not 'auto'.

Currently I have padding (and margin) not take flex values; they
simply take 'auto', which is treated like 1fr.  Is that okay?

> It may be a good idea to not allow flex(1 auto 0). It is just weird. Can we say that if there are two non-negative numbers they must be together? I think there is precedent in background shortcut property.

I agree that it's weird, but I don't think there's a strong reason to
disallow it.  I can if you feel strongly about it, though.

> For unitless length, it may be OK to require '0px'. It can also be defined that if there are 3 numbers, the last one is the preferred length (then the first two are never ambiguous).

Sure, we can do that, but then values like flex(0 1 1), which are
potentially unambiguous, would be invalid.  Is that okay?  If so, then
I'll go ahead and change the description to allow it.