Re: first IE10 preview available, with multicol, flexbox, grid and gradients

On Apr 14, 2011, at 12:06 PM, Brian Manthos wrote:

> I believe the spec directly or indirectly indicates they should work in the following locations:
> 1. background-image and background (with or without layers)
> 2. list-style-image and list-style
> 3. border-image
> 4. generated content

That is what I would expect based on current specs, yes. Currently, most rendering engines except WebKit only support the first one afaict.

> Supported in first IE10 preview:  usage 1.
> Not supported in first IE10 preview but stay tuned: usages 2, 3, and 4.

> IE doesn't support border-image generally, so gradient support is moot for them unless that changes.

Is that something that is eventually planned ?

> For list-style-image (aka "bullets"), linear looks a bit out of place unless you like rectangles or rotated "pointy dashes". Radial has some value, but you have to be careful with your color stops, and use "contain" with a final transparent stop at <= 100%; unless of course, again, you really like rectangles.

Oh, I don't know, I can see use cases for 'linear', perhaps not for a traditional list, but a list that is displayed horizontally (navigation menus, 'tabs', and the like). I have some playground file here (really basic things):

http://dev.l-c-n.com/CSS3_border-background/gradient-list-style.html

There are quite a bit of limitations on the usage right now (no real control over the size / position of the bullet, unless one goes 'creative' - crazy ? - with font-size). But as Brad notes, the ::marker pseudo-element would offer more possibilities.

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/