Re: first IE10 preview available, with multicol, flexbox, grid and gradients

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 23:34:03 -0700
Cc: Philippe Wittenbergh <ph.wittenbergh@l-c-n.com>, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>

On Apr 13, 2011, at 8:06 PM, Brian Manthos wrote:

> I believe the spec directly or indirectly indicates they should work in the following locations:
> 1. background-image and background (with or without layers)
> 2. list-style-image and list-style
> 3. border-image
> 4. generated content

Yeah, I think the general idea is that anywhere in CSS where you can already use a url() function to show an image, you would also be able to use a *-gradient() function. This would include future properties as well.

The use case for list-style-image is not compelling in and of itself, but it would be surprising to not have it work there (in a complete implementation), and hey, some people do like rectangles. It will probably get a little more interesting there when we have more control over the marker via the ::marker pseudo-element.