Re: [css3-ui][html5] Form control orientation and styling

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 20:26:36 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 4/12/11 6:14 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> We (Chrome) also noted this issue and think it's a problem.  Not sure
> what the right solution would be, unfortunately.  You want the
> orientation to be separate from the width/height.  You don't want to
> specify the orientation in the markup (as an attribute in HTML), as a
> reactive design might change the slider orientation when the layout
> changes, to better fill the new area.

Or it might not.

The current spec _forces_ the orientation to change.  That doesn't seem
like a good idea.

An attribute could be modified via script as a last-ditch fallback to
deal with layout changes (though that might take UAs implementing
onresize support on random elements).

> The only think I can think of that would work properly is a
> slider-specific CSS property that specifies the orientation.

How would this be better than an attribute in the markup?  I feel like
I'm missing something.

-Boris