Re: [css3-transitions][css3-animations] times written as '0'

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 09:04:18 -0700
To: Antony Kennedy <antony@silversquid.com>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Antony Kennedy <antony@silversquid.com> wrote:
> Really? Why not? Duration is not a relative value like pressure or temperature… zero is unambiguous with or without a unit.

There are instances where '0' would be ambiguous without a unit.  We
work to avoid these situations when combining lengths and integers,
but it's nice to limit the amount of ambiguity one has to work around.

For example, in the 'animation' shorthand, we already have two times
(-delay and -duration) which we have to treat specially to avoid
ambiguity.  If a zero-second time could be written as '0', there would
be additional ambiguity potential with the -iteration-count property.

As another example, in earlier iterations of the gradient functions, I
had both lengths and angles paired in one argument.  If the angle
could be written as '0', it is easy for it to be ambiguous.  (I've
since removed the ambiguity for unrelated reasons.)