Re: [css3-animations] "Applies To" lines are wrong

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 9:29 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> All of the property definitions in css3-animations should have the
> same change applied to them as was applied to css3-transitions to
> fix http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jun/0479.html :
> they should apply to "all elements, :before and :after pseudo
> elements".

(Slight tangent.)

Hrm.  Does that mean that basically *all* properties should have that
in their "Applies To" line?  This seems less than ideal - it means
that introducing new general-purpose pseudo-elements that can accept
all properties (like ::marker) requires updating every property
definition in every spec.

Could we handle this some other way such that just saying "All
elements" works?  We could either define ::before and ::after to count
as "All elements" in that context, or just define for each
pseudo-element what properties apply to them (including a phrase like
"any property that applies to all elements", or something similarly
broad).