Re: [cssom] Element size/positioning information

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:49:10 +1000
To: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@gtalbot.org, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 12/04/2011 2:07 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
> On 4/11/11, "Gérard Talbot"<www-style@gtalbot.org>  wrote:

>> There are at least 4 errors in the diagrams of this MSDN webpage:
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533024.aspx
>>
>> 1- top and left offset properties are shown to be located between margin
>> area and padding area: this is clearly wrong.
>
> There isn't any margin area; AFAICT margin could be 0.
>
> "The sample page contains a div element that is relatively positioned
> on the page."
>
> Whether or not offsetTop includes the border width (clientTop) depends
> on the version and mode of IE. Yeah, so you can feature test that,
> There are other quirks with offsetTop that vary from browser to
> browser and depend on the element (table related elements and BODY
> tend to be problems).

The version of IE you are referring to is IE7- and it depended on if an
element had hasLayout=true or hasLayout=false. Surely you remember the
discussion we had here [1]. Opera had problems since Anne didn't know at
first about that magical thing called hasLayout when he was working on
the spec for CSSOM. Since we can not un-standardized things, we have to
live with this legacy.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0467.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0447.html

--