Re: [cssom] Element size/positioning information

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:26:26 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>

Le Lun 11 avril 2011 14:35, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :

> Mouse Positioning
> =================
> On a closely related tangent, the mouse events expose .clientX and
> .clientY properties which are relative to the viewport.  If you're
> trying to find the position of the mouse relative to an element (for
> example, if you're drawing something to a <canvas> where the mouse
> is), you have to find the position of the element relative to the
> viewport and subtract the two positions.  I think this is a good
> candidate for being made easier, so you can just request the mouse
> coords relative to an element.  Again, all of the boxes of an element
> are potential targets for being measured relative to.

offsetX and offsetY properties seem to be what you are looking for here
(and it is covered by CSSOM spec):
reports/returns X/Y mouse coordinate within the target element

(you'll need IE6+ or Opera 7+ to view this)

> Thoughts?

Yes. I suggest you first search a bit tutorials or articles or interactive
demos about those properties. I know Peter-Paul Koch has done something. I
remember others (Garrett Smith - DHTMLkitchen) having a demo or tutorial,

Those properties (evt.layerX, offsetX, scrollX, etc.) have all been
tested, demo-ed interactively.

Another one:

And there are bug reports/enhancement requests to implement some like
evt.offsetY in Gecko browsers, others into webkit.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite