RE: [css3-text] Hanging punctuation for Roman (was script-specific functionality

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 05:23:00 -0400
To: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>, John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
CC: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> Personally, the issue that I have with InDesign's
> lack of "proper hanging punctuation" is that Illustrator
> has it,

Thanks Ambrose, this helps me to find a good document for hanging punctuation[1].

In Illustrator's terminology, what we have in the current spec[2]--"force-end" and "allow-end"--belong to "Burasagari"; i.e., East Asian hanging punctuation. "first" is a little special (it's not "Burasagari"), but it's also designed for East Asian typography.

* the following characters appear 100% outside the margins: single quotes, double quotes, hyphens, periods, and commas
* the following characters appear 50% outside the margins: asterisks, tildes, ellipses, en dashes, em dashes, colons, semicolons
* When a punctuation character is followed by a quotation mark, both characters hang

We could add "roman" value in future CSS Text and determine its behavior and the list of characters to hang based on this document and hopefully with advices from Adobe. It looks like the behavior and the list of characters to hang are quite different from the one in East Asia.

I personally prefer to change current value names to indicate that it is not Roman hanging punctuation, but if everyone is happy with current names, I'm fine too.

Regards,
Koji

[1] http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Illustrator/14.0/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e07d0100196cbc5f-63a5a.html
[2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#hanging-punctuation