Inline vertical align - capital-middle

From: Stanimir Stamenkov <s7an10@netscape.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 19:47:26 +0300
To: www-style@w3.org
Has the working group ever considered a value for the
'vertical-align' property allowing one to align inline boxes
centered to the middle of the capital letters in a text line vs. the
current 'middle' of the small letters?

I find the former more useful than the later, as at certain ratio
between the font size and the height of the box to align, the box
may appear hanging below the text - see the attached example.  I
would really like to have the box appear middle "balanced" to the
text at different font sizes.

The closest I've been able to achieve is 'line-middle' (in the
attached example) where both the box and the text get aligned to the
middle of the parent line.  I don't like the side effect of the text
being shifted off its main baseline, however.

Don't you think there's need of additional 'vertical-align' values
like 'capital-middle' and/or 'line-middle'?

--
Stanimir