Re: [css3-text] Underlines match the color of the text (was Allow control of text-decoration width

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 09:18:33 +1200
To: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Cc: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Aryeh Gregor:
> Underlining is relatively rare and color changes are relatively rare,
> so this doesn't come up too much.  But it came up for me in the real
> world just last week.  The case was that anolis (a preprocessor for
> specifications written in HTML, used by HTML5 and a couple of specs I
> edit) generates auto-links for cross-references.  Cross-references can
> be <code> elements, so it was generating code like

> The stylesheet had <code> bold orange.  So this produced a blue
> underline under orange text, which wasn't the desired effect at all.
> I've run into this once or twice before, and have trouble seeing where
> it would ever be the desired behavior.

FWIW, we use this pattern deliberately for element links in SVG
specifications, e.g. see the ‘ellipse’ words here:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/shapes.html#InterfaceSVGEllipseElement

(I don’t claim that it’s a particularly nice style, just that some
people are relying on it.)

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/