RE: [css3-ui] Styling the HTML5 input element placeholder

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 20:21:52 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "Sharon Newman (COHEN)" <Sharon.Newman@microsoft.com>
[Tab Atkins]:
> The problem with a pseudoclass is that the best default styling is to use
> the normal input text color, but more transparent.  That ensures that the
> placeholder text is always visible (assuming the original text is, which
> we have to assume), but is clearly "less real" than normal text.  However,
> there's no way to control text opacity separately from the color.  Using a
> pseudo-element lets you just set 'opacity' on it and inherit the color by
> default.

Sorry, I don't understand this explanation. Why wouldn't  the empty non-focused
element not match both the default style rules (in the UA or author stylesheet)
and the opacity set in your placeholder pseudo-class rule ? I can apply opacity
to the current color of elements on :hover or :active, right ?

As far as I can tell your scenario works fine in Firefox 4 so I'm  clearly missing
something.