[css3-ui] Styling the HTML5 input element placeholder

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 19:56:41 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: "Sharon Newman (COHEN)" <Sharon.Newman@microsoft.com>
Two implementations today let authors style the value of this attribute.

Gecko exposes a pseudo-class, :-moz-placeholder [1]. Webkit uses a pseudo-element, ::-webkit-input-placeholder. As this attribute is now supported by at least three implementations and styling it will be desirable, agreeing on a styling entry point seems appropriate. I prefer the pseudo-class approach since the placeholder text's presence is a function of the control's state but I'm interested in hearing from others..

I assume css3-ui is the module for such a definition.

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/%3a-moz-placeholder